Are you an avid gamer? Do you want to improve your gaming experience on PC? Follow through this tutorial.
To enjoy optimum gaming experience today, you need a powerful PC, with standard system specifications. However, irrespective of how standard your PC is, consoles are generally better.
Nevertheless, you can give your PC a facelift to obtain an almost similar experience (to consoles), particularly in the area of improved FPS rate and near-perfect graphical display.
Want to know more? Go to the next section.
How to Speed PC for Gaming
Basically, when we talk of PC gaming, graphics cards (GPU) are practically the most essential components. And irrespective of the sophistication of the tweaks/tricks applied. there is an attainable limit, depending on the build (specs) of your PC.
In any case, below are some of the tricks you can try to speed up your PC:
Update Graphics Drivers
This is highly essential, as your graphics cards determine the frame-per-second (FPS) rate of your PC. And with updated graphics drivers, you get a significant FPS boost.
Graphics drivers can easily be updated from the manufacturer’s website. However, for some reasons, many computer users do not even know which graphics card(s) is on their respective PCs. To check, simply go to: Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager > Display adapters. The graphics cards would be displayed underneath.
Disable Windows Superfetch and Prefetcher
These two features are primarily designed to improve performance on PCs. However, they tend to slow down the loading speed (and increase loading time) of high-end games and other apps. Hence, if you are a regular PC gamer, this features are better disabled.
- Click on Start (Windows icon).
- In the “Start” menu, select Control Panel.
- Go to System and Security.
- Select Administrative Tools
- Click on Services.
- Find and double click on Superfetch.
- Select Disabled.
- Click OK to apply changes.
- Exit program.
- Open Registry Editor: click on “Windows + R” keys; type in “regedit” in the pop up dialog box and click “Enter”.
- Go to the following registry entry:
- ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory ManagementPrefetchParameters’.
- Locate and double click on the ‘EnablePreFetcher’ entry.
- Set its value to ‘0’ to disable it.
You can run this procedure using the “Disk Defragmenter” tool: Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter. And follow the prompt commands to finish the process. This will significantly improve the loading rate of your games.
For better performance, however, you can upgrade to a Solid State Drive (SSD), which reduces the loading time of games. And to further improve performance, you can “trim” the SSD.
- Free up storage space.
- Reduce background processes/running apps.
- Supercharge graphics cards.
- Allocate more RAM to favorite games.
- And more.